Changes to the Heavy National Law and Regulations from 6 February
From tomorrow, Saturday 6 February 2016, the latest amendments to the Heavy Vehicle National Law and Regulations will take effect. While many of the changes are administrative only and will not impact on your day-to-day operations, key changes include:
- Alignment of vehicle standards for new and in-service vehicles
- new penalties that are consistent across all HVNL jurisdictions
- formal recognition of electronic work diaries, paving the way for their rollout in 2017
Changes relating to electronic work diaries will have no immediate impact. The adoption of electronic work diaries is voluntary and is currently planned for 2017.
Electronic work diaries – a voluntary alternative
An Electronic Work Diary (EWD) is an electronic device or system to monitor and record a driver’s work and rest times. In 2017, EWDs will be introduced as a voluntary alternative to written work diaries.
EWDs will improve compliance and boost safety for all road users through:
improved data accuracy and transparency to drivers, transport operators and authorised officers
provision of real-time data which enables transport operators to respond immediately to actual breaches and monitor performance over time
in-vehicle driver information which enables drivers to plan their work and rest and take action when alerted to an imminent or actual breach.
- improved data accuracy and transparency to drivers, transport operators and authorised officers
- provision of real-time data which enables transport operators to respond immediately to actual breaches and monitor performance over time
- in-vehicle driver information which enables drivers to plan their work and rest and take action when alerted to an imminent or actual breach.
Ultimately, EWDs are expected to contribute to a reduction in heavy vehicle crashes, due to better management of driver fatigue and compliance with fatigue rules.
Visit our website for more information.
Extends the expiry date of the exemption to 31 January 2017.
Extends the expiry date of the Class Permit No. 147-TH-14 Mass exemption for the transportation of log timber from 7 February 2016 to 30 June 2016.
Exempts certain class 1 heavy vehicles from prescribed dimension requirements specified in the notice. Refer to Information Sheet – Queensland heavy vehicle class 1 agricultural vehicle (zone 1) dimension exemption notice 2016 (No. 1) (PDF, 172KB)
For more information
Visit www.nhvr.gov.au or call 1300 MYNHVR (1300 696 487). Standard call charges apply, check with your phone provider.